- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 6-8 as part of a buffet Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 695
- Carbohydrate Content: 20g
- Fat Content: 46g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 52g
- Saturated Fat Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 1.6g
- Sugar Content: 19g
Red braised ginger pork belly with pickled chillies Recipe
Cheap cut recipe for 6-8 as part of a buffet people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has pork belly, dark soy sauce, rice wine, vegetable oil, garlic clove, ginger, chilli flakes, vinegar, brown sugar, vegetable stock, sesame seed, spring onion, red chilli and rice.
- Vegetable Oil - 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- Garlic Clove - 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- Red Chilli - 2 red chillies, sliced and soaked in rice wine vinegar for 1 hr, then drained
- Vegetable Stock - 700ml vegetable stock
- Spring Onion - sliced spring onions
- Chilli Flakes - pinch of chilli flakes
- Brown Sugar - 140g soft brown sugar
- Dark Soy Sauce - 1 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger, cut into matchsticks
- Rice - steamed white rice
- Sesame Seed - toasted sesame seeds
- Vinegar - 100ml Chinese black vinegar (available from Waitrose)
- Pork Belly - 2 1/2 kg pork belly, rind removed, cut into 5cm pieces
- Rice Wine - 200ml Shaohsing rice wine
- Toss the pork with the soy and 1 tbsp of the rice wine. Leave for 1 hr or, even better, overnight in the fridge.
- Heat some of the oil in a medium heavy-based saucepan. Brown the meat, in batches, on both sides and set aside. Add a little more oil and cook the garlic, ginger and chilli for 2-3 mins until golden.
- Pour the vinegar, remaining rice wine, sugar and stock into the pan and bring to the boil. Add the pork, then turn down the heat, cover and simmer for 2 hrs or until the meat is tender. For the final 30 mins, remove the lid, increase the heat and let the liquid reduce until thick and syrupy. Serve scattered with the sesame seeds, spring onions and sliced chillies, with rice.