- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Serving: 8 generously with leftovers Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 166
- Carbohydrate Content: 30g
- Fat Content: 3g
- Fiber Content: 6g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.12g
- Sugar Content: 28g
Braised red cabbage with cider & apples Recipe
Low-fat Christmas recipe for 8 generously with leftovers people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has red cabbage, onion, granny smith, orange, mixed spice, brown sugar, cider vinegar, cider and butter.
- Onion - 2 onions, chopped
- Butter - 25g butter
- Cider Vinegar - 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- Brown Sugar - 100g light soft brown sugar
- Red Cabbage - 1 1/2 kg red cabbage
- Orange - zest 1 orange or 2 clementines
- Mixed Spice - 2 tsp ground mixed spice
- Cider - 300ml dry cider
- Granny Smith - 4 Granny Smiths apples, peeled and cored and chopped
- Peel off the outer leaves from the cabbage and discard. Quarter the cabbage, removing the tough stem, then thinly slice. Arrange a layer of the cabbage on the bottom of a large saucepan, followed by some of the onions, apples, zest, mixed spice, sugar and seasoning. Continue to create layers until you have used up the ingredients.
- Pour over the vinegar and cider and dot the butter on top. Bring to the boil then simmer with a lid on over low heat for 1 1/2 hrs, until tender. The cabbage will keep for 2 days, covered, in the fridge or freeze for up to 1 month. Reheat in either a pan or in the microwave.