- Cook Time: 25 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 316
- Carbohydrate Content: 38g
- Fat Content: 8g
- Fiber Content: 17g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 2.2g
- Sugar Content: 17g
Burnt aubergine veggie chilli Recipe
Burnt aubergine veggie chilli is a Vegetarian chilli recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has aubergine, olive oil and red onion.
- Kidney Bean - 400g can kidney beans
- Chopped Tomatoes - 400g can chopped tomatoes
- Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp chilli powder
- Coriander - 1 tsp coriander
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp olive oil or rapeseed oil
- Red Onion - 1 red onion, diced
- Vegetable Stock - 800ml vegetable stock
- Dark Chocolate - 20g dark chocolate, finely chopped
- Carrot - 2 carrots, finely diced
- Lime - 1/2 lime, juiced
- Aubergine - 1 aubergine
- Puy Lentils - 70g Puy lentils or green lentils, rinsed
- Red Lentil - 30g red lentils, rinsed
- Dark Soy Sauce - 3 tbsp dark soy sauce
- Oregano - 2 tsp dried oregano
- Ground Cumin - 2 tsp ground cumin
- Sweet Smoked Paprika - 2 tsp sweet smoked paprika
- Cinnamon - 1 tsp cinnamon
- Brown Rice - brown rice
- Tortilla Chip - tortilla chips, mashed avocado, yogurt or soured cream, grated cheddar, roughly chopped coriander (optional)
- If you have a gas hob, put the aubergine directly onto a lit ring to char completely, turning occasionally with kitchen tongs, until burnt all over. Alternatively, use a barbecue or heat the grill to its highest setting and cook, turning occasionally, until completely blackened (the grill won't give you the same smoky flavour). Set aside to cool on a plate, then peel off the charred skin and remove the stem. Roughly chop the flesh and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat the oil, add the onion and carrots with a pinch of salt, and fry over a low-medium heat for 15-20 mins until the carrots have softened.
- Add the aubergine, both types of lentils, the kidney beans with the liquid from the can, soy sauce, tomatoes, chocolate, chilli powder, oregano and the spices. Stir to combine, then pour in the stock. Bring to the boil, then turn down the heat to very low. Cover with a lid and cook for 11/2 hrs, checking and stirring every 15-20 mins to prevent it from burning.
- Remove the lid and let the mixture simmer over a low-medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15 mins until you get a thick sauce. Stir in the lime juice and taste for seasoning - add more salt if needed. Serve hot over rice with whichever accompaniments you want!