- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Serving: 8 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 422
- Carbohydrate Content: 41g
- Fat Content: 23g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 9g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
- Sugar Content: 8g
Festive celeriac koshari Recipe
Festive celeriac koshari is a Healthy Christmas recipe for 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has puy lentils, white long grain rice and celeriac.
- Coriander - handful coriander leaves
- Onion - 4 onions, finely sliced
- Vegetable Stock - 400ml vegetable stock
- Lemon - 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- Greek Yogurt - 120g Greek yogurt
- Puy Lentils - 120g dried Puy lentils
- Rapeseed Oil - 150ml rapeseed oil or extra virgin olive oil
- Ground Cinnamon - 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Harissa - 2 tbsp rose harissa
- Coriander Seed - 1 tsp coriander seeds
- Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Celeriac - 2 small celeriac, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- Macaroni - 120g macaroni
- Dried Cranberries - 2 tbsp dried cranberries
- Pine Nuts - 2 tbsp pine nuts
- Garlic Bulb - 2 garlic bulb, split across the middle
- White Long Grain Rice - 120g white long grain rice
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Rinse the lentils and rice together under cold water until the water runs clear. Soak them in water for 30 mins, then drain. Meanwhile, toss the celeriac and garlic halves in 4 tbsp of the rapeseed oil and season. Cover with foil and roast for 20 mins, tossing occasionally. Remove the foil and return to the oven for 10 mins until soft and caramelised.
- Heat 4 tbsp of the oil over a medium heat, season and fry the onions for about 12 mins until starting to caramelise. In the meantime, cook the macaroni until al dente, then drain. Tip into the onions along with the pine nuts, fry until the nuts and pasta are starting to brown, then remove from the heat.
- Heat the remaining 2 tbsp oil in a heavy-bottomed frying pan and add the ground cinnamon, cumin and coriander seeds. Stir until they sizzle, then add the lentils and rice. Stir-fry for 1 min, then add the stock and cranberries. Cook for about 25 mins, stirring occasionally, until the stock is absorbed and the cranberries have swelled up.
- Tip the lentil mixture into the onion mixture along with the celeriac, and heat over a medium heat to warm it all through. Squeeze the roasted garlic cloves out of their skins and mash with the lemon zest and juice, then stir into the rice.
- In a separate container, stir the harissa into the yogurt. To serve, divide the koshari between bowls and top with the spiced yogurt and coriander.