- Cook Time: 45 mins
- Serving: 4 - 8 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
Pickled pears Recipe
Pickled pears is a Edible gift recipe for 4 - 8 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has lemon, clove and black peppercorn.
- Lemon - 1 lemon or orange
- Cinnamon - 2 cinnamon sticks
- Root Ginger - 5 cm piece fresh root ginger, sliced
- Caster Sugar - 1kg bag caster sugar
- Black Peppercorn - 2 tsp black peppercorn, lightly crushed
- Allspice - 1 tsp allspice berries, lightly crushed
- Pear - 2kg small pears
- Clove - 10 cloves
- Cider - 1 litre/1 3/4 pints cider or white wine vinegar
- Pare the zest from the lemon or orange and put in a pan with the cloves, peppercorns, allspice berries, root ginger, lemon or orange juice, vinegar, cinnamon sticks and sugar. Stir over a gentle heat until the sugar has dissolved.
- Peel, core and halve the pears, then add to the pan and simmer for 15 mins, until the pears are tender. Remove the pears with a slotted spoon and put in a colander to drain. Meanwhile, increase the heat under the syrup and boil rapidly for 15 mins, until the syrup has reduced by about a third and slightly thickened.
- Pack the fruit into warmed jars and pour over the hot syrup to cover. Seal, label and store in a cool dry place for a month before using.