- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving: 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 317
- Carbohydrate Content: 20g
- Fat Content: 24g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.54g
- Sugar Content: 6g
Pumpkin soup Recipe
Pumpkin soup is a Halloween recipe for 6 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has olive oil, onion and pumpkin.
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- Onion - 2 onions, finely chopped
- Vegetable Stock - 700ml vegetable stock or chicken stock
- Bread - 4 slices wholemeal seeded bread, crusts removed
- Pumpkin - 1kg pumpkin or squash (try kabocha), peeled, deseeded and chopped into chunks
- Double Cream - 150ml double cream
- Pumpkin Seeds - handful pumpkin seeds
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a largesaucepan, then gently cook 2 finely chopped onions for 5 mins, until soft but not coloured.
- Add 1kg pumpkin or squash, cut into chunks, to the pan, then carry on cooking for 8-10 mins, stirring occasionally until it starts to soften and turn golden.
- Pour 700ml vegetable or chicken stock into the pan and season with salt and pepper. Bring to the boil, then simmer for 10 mins until the squash is very soft.
- Pour 150ml double cream into the pan, bring back to the boil, then puree with ahand blender. For an extra-velvety consistency you can pour the soup through a fine sieve.The soup can now be frozen for up to 2 months.
- To make the croutons: cut 4 slices wholemeal seeded bread into small squares.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in afrying pan, then fry the bread until it starts to become crisp.
- Add a handful of pumpkin seeds to the pan, then cook for a few mins more until they are toasted.These can be made a day ahead and stored in anairtight container.
- Reheat the soup if needed, taste for seasoning, then serve scattered with croutons and seeds and drizzled with more olive oil, if you want.