- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 6-8 as part of a buffet Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 140
- Carbohydrate Content: 10g
- Fat Content: 6g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 3.5g
- Sugar Content: 5g
Salt & pepper prawns Recipe
Salt & pepper prawns is a Chinese recipe for 6-8 as part of a buffet people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has cornflour, vegetable oil and king prawn.
- Coriander - 1 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
- Vegetable Oil - vegetable oil, for deep frying
- Garlic Clove - 1 garlic clove, crushed
- Red Chilli - 1 small red chilli, finely chopped
- Chilli Flakes - large pinch of chilli flakes
- Lime - juice 3 limes
- King Prawn - 24 large king prawns, peeled and deveined, with tails
- Caster Sugar - 2 tbsp caster sugar
- Black Peppercorn - 4 black peppercorns
- Fish Sauce - 1 tbsp fish sauce
- Salad - pea shoots or baby salad leaves, to serve (optional)
- Sea Salt - 2 tbsp sea salt flakes
- Cornflour - 2 tbsp cornflour
- Peppercorn - 1 tbsp Sichuan peppercorns
- First, make the dipping sauce. Crush the garlic, coriander and chilli using a pestle and mortar. (If you don't have one, just finely chop.) Pound in the sugar until dissolved, then add the lime juice and fish sauce. It should taste sweet, salty and spicy.
- To make the spice mix, toast the Sichuan and black peppercorns in a frying pan over a medium heat for 1 min or until fragrant. Finely grind in a spice mill or using a pestle and mortar, then add the salt and chilli flakes and mix together. Transfer to a bowl.
- Combine the spice mix with the cornflour. Heat 7.5cm of oil in a large wok or deep heavy-based saucepan. You can test the temperature by frying a small piece of bread - it should sizzle instantly and take 20 secs to turn golden. Toss the prawns with the spice mix, shake off the excess and deep-fry, in batches, for 1-2 mins or until crisp at the edges and starting to curl. Remove with a slotted spoon, drain on a baking tray lined with kitchen paper and keep warm while you cook the remaining prawns. Scatter over the pea shoots or salad leaves, if you like, and serve with the dipping sauce.