- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 620
- Carbohydrate Content: 12g
- Fat Content: 45g
- Fiber Content: 1g
- Protein Content: 43g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
- Sugar Content: 9g
Sticky slow-roast belly of pork Recipe
Sticky slow-roast belly of pork is a Cheap cut recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has pork belly, sunflower oil and peppercorn.
- Red Chilli - 1 red chilli, deseeded and chopped
- Onion - 3 large onions, sliced
- Ground Cumin - 2 tsp ground cumin
- Sunflower Oil - 2 tsp sunflower oil
- Honey - 2-3 tbsp clear honey
- Peppercorn - 1 tsp white peppercorns, crushed
- Pork Belly - 1.3kg piece pork belly, boned, rind left on and scored (ask your butcher to do this)
- Heat oven to 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Lay the pork, skin-side up, on a rack in a roasting tin. Trickle with a little oil, then lightly press on the crushed peppercorns and a sprinkling of coarse sea salt. Place in the oven, then cook for 1 hr. Remove from the oven and baste with the juices. Continue to cook for a further 1 1/2 hrs, basting every 20 mins.
- Put the sliced onions in the roasting tin under the pork. Mix the honey together with the cumin and chilli, brush it over the pork, then increase the oven to 200C/fan 180C/ gas 6. Cook for a further 30-40 mins, basting occasionally, until caramelised with a rich, golden glaze over the pork. Once cooked and tender (this can be easily tested by piercing the flesh with a knife), remove pork from the oven, then leave to rest for 10-15 mins.
- While the pork is resting, heat the tin on the stove with the onions, adding 2 tbsp water. This will lift any residue from the pan, creating a moist cooking liquor. Season the onions with salt and pepper, then divide between 6 plates. Carve pork into 6 portions, then serve on top of the onions. Pour any remaining liquor over and serve with the Pumpkin mash (below).