- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Serving: 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 391
- Carbohydrate Content: 57g
- Fat Content: 14g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Sodium Content: 0.83g
- Sugar Content: 16g
Vegetable stew with herby dumplings Recipe
Vegetable stew with herby dumplings is a Vegetarian casserole recipe for 6 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has olive oil, shallot and leek.
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- Vegetable Stock - 1l vegetable stock
- Cheddar - 50g mature cheddar cheese, grated
- Carrot - 350g Chantenay carrot
- Parsley - small bunch parsley, finely chopped
- Bay Leaf - 1 bay leaf
- Thyme - 3 sprigs thyme
- Shallot - 350g shallot, peeled
- Rosemary - 2 tsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
- Leek - 2 leeks, thickly sliced
- Unsalted Butter - 50g unsalted butter
- Self Raising Flour - 100g self-raising flour
- White Wine - 225ml white wine
- Thyme Leaf - 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- Parsnip - 2 parsnips, quartered
- Pearl Barley - 175g pearl barley
- Swede - 1/2 swede, chopped into chunks
- Heat oil in a large casserole dish. Add shallots and cook for 5-6 mins until starting to soften and brown. Add leeks for 2 mins, then stir in swede, parsnips and carrots.
- Pour in barley and wine, cook until wine has reduced by half. Add stock, bay, thyme, parsley and seasoning. Cover pan, bring to the boil, then simmer for 45 mins until barley and veg are tender. Stir occasionally to stop it catching.
- Meanwhile, make the dumplings. Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Rub flour and butter together to form breadcrumbs. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Sprinkle over 2 tbsp water, mix to form a soft dough. Divide into six and roll into balls. Dot on top of stew and transfer to oven. Cook, uncovered, for 20-25 mins until dumplings are golden.