- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serving: 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 307
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Fat Content: 15g
- Fiber Content: 10g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 2g
- Sodium Content: 0.3g
- Sugar Content: 4g
Baked falafel & cauliflower tabbouleh Recipe
Family picnic recipe for 6 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has chickpeas, ground cumin, ground coriander, cayenne pepper, red onion, garlic cloves, sesame seeds, baking powder, parsley, olive oil, cauliflower, mint and lemon.
- Olive Oil - 4 tbsp olive oil
- Red Onion - 1 red onion, quartered
- Mint - 1 small pack mint, leaves chopped and stalks discarded
- Parsley - 2 small packs parsley, stalks and leaves separated, leaves chopped
- Lemon - 1 lemon, juiced
- Garlic Cloves - 3 garlic cloves
- Ground Cumin - 3 tsp ground cumin
- Cayenne Pepper - 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- Baking Powder - 1 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten-free, if you like)
- Cauliflower - 1 cauliflower, cut into large florets
- Ground Coriander - 2 tsp ground coriander
- Chickpeas - 3 x 400g cans chickpeas, drained (or 250g dried chickpeas, soaked in 1 litre cold water overnight, then drained)
- Sesame Seeds - 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6 and line two baking sheets with baking parchment. Tip the chickpeas, 2 tsp of the ground cumin, 1 tsp of the ground coriander, the cayenne pepper, onion, garlic, sesame seeds, baking powder, parsley stalks and 1 tbsp water into a food processor. Blitz until combined but not smooth (you want the falafel to have some texture, rather than being the consistency of hummus). Season to taste, then roll into 18 evenly sized balls. Flatten each ball into a disc shape and arrange on the baking sheets, then brush the tops with 1 tbsp of the oil. Bake for 20 mins until golden and crisp, turning halfway through cooking.
- Meanwhile, clean out the food processor, then tip in the cauliflower and briefly pulse until it resembles couscous. Mix the cauliflower couscous with the remaining ground spices and olive oil, then add some seasoning. Tip onto a roasting tray and roast for 10-12 mins until lightly toasted, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from the oven and leave to cool, then mix through the parsley leaves, mint leaves and lemon juice. Season to taste. Will keep for three days in the fridge. Serve the baked falafel with the cauliflower tabbouleh and some salad, if you like.