- Cook Time: 35 mins
- Serving: 2 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 488
- Carbohydrate Content: 37g
- Fat Content: 23g
- Fiber Content: 18g
- Protein Content: 23g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Sodium Content: 0.77g
- Sugar Content: 11g
Baked falafel & cauliflower tabbouleh with avocado, pea & feta smash Recipe
Healthy picnic recipe for 2 people, takes only 23 mins; recipe has chickpeas, cumin, coriander, cayenne pepper, red onion, garlic clove, sesame seeds, baking powder, parsley, olive oil, cauliflower, mint, lemon, peas, avocado, feta and rocket.
- Cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- Coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- Garlic Clove - 1 garlic clove
- Olive Oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- Red Onion - 1/2 small red onion, quartered
- Mint - 1/2 small pack mint, leaves chopped
- Parsley - small pack parsley, stalks and leaves separated, leaves chopped
- Rocket - 2 handfuls rocket
- Lemon - 1 lemon, juiced and 1/2 zested
- Cayenne Pepper - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Avocado - 1/2 medium, ripe avocado
- Feta - 30g feta
- Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder (gluten free if you like)
- Cauliflower - 1/2 small cauliflower, cut into florets
- Peas - 200g frozen peas
- Chickpeas - 400g can chickpeas, drained (or 85g dried chickpeas soaked in 500ml cold water overnight, then drained)
- Sesame Seeds - 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Line abaking sheetwith baking parchment. Tip the chickpeas, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 1/2 tsp ground coriander, cayenne pepper, red onion, garlic, sesame seeds, baking powder, parsley stalks and 1/2 tbsp water into afood processor. Blitz until everything is combined but not mushy - you want the falafel to have some texture, rather than being like hummus. Season to taste, then roll into 18 even-sized balls. Flatten each ball into a disc shape and put them on the baking sheet (the more surface area the crisper they will become). Brush them with 1/2 tbsp oil. Bake for 20 mins, turning halfway, until golden and crisp.
- Meanwhile, clean the food processor. Briefly pulse the cauliflower until you have a couscous consistency. Mix the cauliflower with the remaining ground spices, olive oil and seasoning. Tip onto a baking tray and roast for 10-12 mins, stirring occasionally, until slightly toasted. Once cool, mix through the chopped parsley, mint and a squeeze of lemon juice. Season to taste.
- Put the frozen peas in a microwavable bowl, cover and cook on high for 2-3 mins. Drain off all the water, then roughly mash. Add the avocado and mash again to combine. Crumble in the feta, mix, then add the lemon zest and another squeeze of lemon juice, and seasoning to taste.
- Toss the rocket leaves in a final squeeze of lemon juice, then serve with the falafel and cauliflower tabbouleh, rocket and the pea and avocado smash.