- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serving: 2 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 630
- Carbohydrate Content: 52g
- Fat Content: 38g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 18g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 2.1g
- Sugar Content: 9g
Japanese okonomiyaki Recipe
Japanese okonomiyaki is a Japanese recipe for 2 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has plain flour, baking powder and egg.
- Vegetable Oil - vegetable oil, for frying
- Spring Onion - 1 spring onion, finely sliced
- Egg - 1 egg, lightly beaten
- Mayonnaise - 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- Soy Sauce - 1 tsp soy sauce
- Ginger - thumb-sized piece ginger, grated
- Potato - 1 baby potato, peeled and grated
- Honey - 1/ tsp honey
- Plain Flour - 100g plain flour
- Baking Powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Worcestershire Sauce - 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- Squid - 100g lightly cooked squid, king prawns or octopus (or some of each)
- Fish Stock - 100ml cooled fish stock, vegetable, chicken or dashi stock
- Ketchup - 3 tbsp ketchup
- Mirin - 1 tsp mirin
- Cabbage - 1/4 white, pointed or sweetheart cabbage, shredded
- Brown Sauce - 1 tbsp brown sauce
- Seaweed - powdered seaweed or togarashi seasoning
- Dried Bonito Flakes - dried bonito flakes
- Combine the flour, baking powder, egg and stock. Mix until smooth, whisking out any lumps without overmixing. Add the potato, season with a little salt and white pepper, cover and rest for at least 2 hrs.
- While the mix is resting, combine the ingredients for the sauce, stirring until it's smooth. Set aside.
- Remove the batter from the fridge and add the cabbage, spring onion, ginger, soy, mirin and chosen seafood. Stir to thoroughly coat the mix in the batter.
- Heat a thin layer of oil in a frying pan on a medium heat. Pour the mixture into the pan, keeping it as circular as possible. Fry for 3-5 mins. Use a palette knife to help you flip it over and cook for a further 3-5 mins, using a lid at intervals to trap the heat so it cooks through. Test to see if it's ready by sticking a chopstick into the middle. If it comes out dry, it's ready.
- Flip onto a board and serve with the sauce and garnishes to taste. Eat straight away.