- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 310
- Carbohydrate Content: 6g
- Fat Content: 21g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 22g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 1g
- Sugar Content: 2g
Mapo tofu Recipe
Mapo tofu is a 200-400 calorie recipe for 4 people, takes only 15 mins; recipe has tofu, groundnut oil and pork mince.
- Garlic Clove - 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- Spring Onion - 6 spring onions, sliced on the diagonal
- Black Beans - 1 1/2 tbsp fermented black beans, rinsed (optional, available from souschef.co.uk)
- Chicken Stock - 200ml light chicken stock or water
- Ginger - 2cm piece ginger peeled and finely chopped
- Groundnut Oil - 3 tbsp groundnut oil
- Cornflour - 1 tsp cornflour, mixed with 1 tbsp water
- Tofu - 450g tofu
- Pork Mince - 100g pork mince
- Sichuan Peppercorns - 1/2 tsp Sichuan peppercorns, crushed
- Sichuan Chilli Bean Paste - 2 tbsp Sichuan chilli bean paste
- Sichuan Chilli Oil - 1 tbsp Sichuan chilli oil (optional)
- White Rice - cooked white rice, to serve
- Get all the ingredients ready before you start cooking and set them out in bowls. Drain the tofu and cut it into 1.5cm cubes. Put it in a bowl and cover with very hot water. Leave this while you get on with everything else.
- Heat awokand pour in the groundnut oil. Get this really hot and fry the pork until it's crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon but leave the oil behind.
- Add the bean paste and cook, stirring for a few mins until fragrant, then add the black beans, ginger and garlic. Cook, stirring, for a min or so, then add the stock and let it bubble away.
- Stir the cornflour and water into the mixture in the wok, drain the tofu and stir it into the sauce. Tip in the spring onions and the mince.
- Add the chilli oil, if using, and sprinkle over the Sichuan peppercorns. The sauce shouldn't need seasoning with salt, as many of the ingredients are salty already. Serve with boiled white rice.