- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Serving: 4 - 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 481
- Carbohydrate Content: 37g
- Fat Content: 27g
- Fiber Content: 17g
- Protein Content: 24g
- Saturated Fat Content: 11g
- Sodium Content: 1.3g
- Sugar Content: 25g
Melanzane parmigiana Recipe
Melanzane parmigiana is a Eurovision party recipe for 4 - 6 people, takes only 25 mins; recipe has olive oil, garlic clove and thyme.
- Garlic Clove - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Basil Leaf - handful basil leaves
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- Chopped Tomato - 4 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Aubergine - 6 large aubergines, sliced lengthways as thinly as you can
- Thyme - 3 thyme sprigs
- Breadcrumb - 85g white breadcrumb
- Pine Nut - 50g pine nut
- Sage - 8 large sage leaves, finely chopped
- Red Wine Vinegar - 3 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Granulated Sugar - 3 tsp golden caster or granulated sugar
- Vegetarian Parmesan Style Cheese - 100g vegetarian parmesan-style cheese, finely grated
- Vegetarian Mozzarella Cheese - 2 x 125g balls vegetarian mozzarella cheese, torn into small chunks
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan (or wide saucepan), add the garlic, thyme and sage, and cook gently for a few mins. Tip in the tomatoes, vinegar and sugar, and gently simmer for 20-25 mins until thickened a little.
- Meanwhile, heat a griddle (or frying) pan. Brush the aubergine slices on both sides with olive oil, then griddle in batches. You want each slice softened and slightly charred, so don't have the heat too high or the aubergine will char before softening. Remove to a plate as you go.
- In a large baking dish, spread a little of the tomato sauce over the base. Mix 25g of the Parmesan with the breadcrumbs and pine nuts, and set aside. Top the sauce with a layer or two of aubergine slices, then season well. Spoon over a bit more sauce, then scatter over some mozzarella, Parmesan and basil leaves. Repeat, layering up - and finish with the last of the tomato sauce. Scatter over the cheesy breadcrumbs and chill for up to 24 hrs, or bake straight away.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Bake for 30-40 mins until the top is crisp and golden, and the tomato sauce bubbling. Rest for 10 mins, then scatter with basil leaves and serve with salad and focaccia(see 'goes well with').