- Cook Time: 15 mins
- Serving: 4 - 6 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 318
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Fat Content: 20g
- Fiber Content: 12g
- Protein Content: 8g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Sodium Content: 0.2g
- Sugar Content: 15g
Spiced aubergine bake Recipe
Spiced aubergine bake is a Easy vegan recipe for 4 - 6 people, takes only 45 mins; recipe has aubergine, vegetable oil and coconut oil.
- Chilli Powder - 1/4 tsp hot chilli powder
- Coriander - small bunch coriander, roughly chopped (optional)
- Vegetable Oil - 3 tbsp vegetable oil
- Garlic Clove - 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- Onion - 2 large onions, chopped
- Chopped Tomato - 2 x 400g cans chopped tomatoes
- Sugar - sugar, to taste
- Aubergine - 4 aubergines, cut into 5mm-1cm slices
- Ground Cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- Garam Masala - 1 tbsp garam masala
- Coconut Milk - 200ml coconut milk
- Ground Coriander - 1 tsp ground coriander
- Flaked Almond - 2 tbsp flaked almonds
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- Coconut Oil - 2 tbsp coconut oil
- Mustard Seeds - 1 tbsp black mustard seeds
- Fenugreek Seed - 1/2 tbsp fenugreek seeds
- Heat oven to 220C/200C fan/gas 7. Generously brush each aubergine slice with vegetable oil and place in a single layer on a baking tray, or two if they don't fit on one. Cook on the low shelves for 10 mins, then turn over and cook for a further 5-10 mins until they are golden. Reduce the oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4.
- Heat the coconut oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan and add the onions. Cover and sweat on a low heat for about 5 mins until softened. Add the garlic, mustard seeds, fenugreek seeds, garam masala, chilli powder, cinnamon stick, cumin and ground coriander. Cook for a few secs until it starts to smell beautiful and aromatic.
- Pour the chopped tomatoes and coconut milk into the spiced onions and stir well. Check the seasoning and add a little sugar, salt or pepper to taste.
- Spoon a third of the tomato sauce on the bottom of a 2-litre ovenproof dish. Layer with half the aubergine slices. Spoon over a further third of tomato sauce, then the remaining aubergine slices, and finish with the rest of the sauce. Sprinkle over the flaked almonds and coriander (if using), reserving some to serve, and bake for 25-30 mins. Serve garnished with more coriander.