- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 419
- Carbohydrate Content: 19g
- Fat Content: 29g
- Fiber Content: 9g
- Protein Content: 11g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 1.4g
- Sugar Content: 14g
Mushroom stifado Recipe
Mushroom stifado is a Vegetarian casserole recipe for 4 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has dried porcini, olive oil and onion.
- Red Wine - 125ml dry red wine
- Flat Leaf Parsley - 3 tbsp chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Garlic Clove - 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- Olive Oil - 100ml olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- Onion - 500g pickling onions
- Tomato - 2 tomatoes, peeled and finely chopped
- Bay Leaf - 2 bay leaves
- Tomato Puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- Black Olive - 75g Kalamata black olive, pitted and chopped
- Black Peppercorn - 1 tsp black peppercorns
- Mushroom - 1kg mixed mushrooms such as oyster, cep, chestnut, morel, Portobello
- Allspice - 5 whole allspice berries
- Red Wine Vinegar - 4 tbsp red wine vinegar
- Clear Honey - 2 tsp Greek clear honey
- Pecorino - 50g vegetarian kefalotyri/ pecorino, grated (optional)
- Clove - 4 whole cloves
- Dried Porcini - 25g dried porcini mushrooms
- Cinnamon Sticks - 1 large or 2 small cinnamon sticks
- Mash - Horseradish mash (see 'Goes well with'), to serve
- Soak the dried porcini in warm water for 1 hr. Heat half the oil in a large, wide-bottomed pan. Add the whole onions and a pinch of sea salt, and cook over a low heat until caramelised, about 20 mins, stirring occasionally. Remove the onions and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cut the fresh mushrooms into halves and quarters, to give rough 4cm pieces. Once the onions have been removed from the pan, add the remaining oil and cook the fresh mushrooms and garlic over a medium heat for 10 mins until browned, stirring frequently. Return the onions to the pan, pour in the wine and cook for 5-10 mins until reduced by half.
- Strain the porcini, reserving 200ml of the soaking liquid. Tip the porcini and reserved liquid into the pan with the tomato puree, vinegar, bay leaves, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, peppercorns and tomatoes.
- Cook, uncovered, over a medium-low heat for about 1 hr, stirring occasionally, until the liquid thickens. Add the olives and honey, and season to taste. Sprinkle with the parsley and cheese and serve with Horseradish mash (see 'Goes well with').