- Cook Time: 20 mins
- Serving: 2 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 540
- Carbohydrate Content: 44g
- Fat Content: 21g
- Fiber Content: 13g
- Protein Content: 38g
- Saturated Fat Content: 4g
- Sodium Content: 1.6g
- Sugar Content: 14g
Parsnip latkes with smoked haddock & poached egg Recipe
Posh budget recipe for 2 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has parsnip, self-raising flour, dill, egg, milk, smoked haddock, horseradish, lemon, spinach and oil.
- Egg - 4 very fresh eggs
- Milk - 300ml full-fat milk
- Dill - small pack dill, snipped, plus a few fronds to serve
- Lemon - 1 lemon, zested and cut into wedges
- Oil - oil, for frying
- Self Raising Flour - 2 tbsp self-raising flour
- Horseradish - 1-2 tbsp hot horseradish sauce
- Spinach - 80g spinach
- Parsnip - 2 large parsnips (about 450g), peeled
- Smoked Haddock - 1 undyed smoked haddock fillet, skin-on (200g)
- Grate the parsnips into a bowl and add the flour and dill. Beat 2 of the eggs and add them to the bowl. Season and set aside.
- Heat oven to its lowest setting. Pour the milk into a saucepan and add the haddock, skin-side up. Cover, bring slowly to the boil, then turn off the heat and poach for 5 mins. Discard the milk and haddock skin. Put the fish in a bowl and mix in the horseradish and lemon zest - as you stir, the fish will flake. Put the spinach in a casserole dish, then push to one side, pour over 3 tbsp boiling water and season. Put the haddock in the other side, cover with foil and put in the oven to keep warm.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan, add three large mounds of the parsnip mixture, flatten with the back of a fish slice and fry for 3-4 mins on each side until golden. Transfer to a baking tray lined with kitchen paper and keep warm in the oven. Repeat with the remaining mixture.
- Bring a large pan of water to a simmer, crack in the eggs and poach for 2-3 mins, then drain on kitchen paper. Divide the latkes between plates, spoon over the fish and spinach and top with an egg. Season and serve with dill fronds and lemon wedges.