- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 375
- Carbohydrate Content: 66g
- Fat Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 1g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
- Sugar Content: 18g
Spiced vegetable pilaf Recipe
Spiced vegetable pilaf is a Dairy-free lunch recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has carrot, red onion and olive oil.
- Olive Oil - 2 tbsp olive oil
- Red Onion - 3 red onions, cut into wedges
- Vegetable Stock - 400ml vegetable stock
- Carrot - 6 carrots, cut lengthways into 6-8 wedges
- Baby Spinach - 200g baby spinach
- Lentil - 400g can brown lentils, rinsed and drained
- Almond - handful toasted flaked almonds, or a few whole almonds (optional)
- Cumin Seed - 2 tsp cumin seeds
- Basmati Rice - 200g brown basmati rice, rinsed
- Cardamom Pod - 4 cardamom pods
- Cinnamon Stick - 1 cinnamon stick
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. In boiling water, cook carrots for 4 mins, tipping in onions for the last min of cooking. Drain and mix in a roasting tin with 4 tsp oil, the cumin and seasoning. Roast for 30 mins, while you cook the rice.
- Heat remaining 2 tsp oil in a large pan. Add cardamom and cinnamon for 30 secs, then add rice and toast for 1 min. Pour over stock and 100ml water, then simmer, covered, for 25-30 mins, until rice is tender and the water absorbed. Remove cinnamon and cardamom.
- Tip in lentils and fork through before topping with spinach. Put lid back on and cook over a low heat, stirring once, until spinach has wilted and lentils heated through. Fork through again before tipping the cumin roasted veg onto the top and sprinkling with almonds, if using.