- Cook Time: 10 mins
- Serving: 4 Persons
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 199
- Carbohydrate Content: 25g
- Fat Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 4g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.06g
- Sugar Content: 5g
Gujarati cabbage with coconut & potato Recipe
Gujarati cabbage with coconut & potato is a Gut-friendly recipe for 4 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has new potato, sunflower oil and asafoetida.
- Coriander - bunch of coriander, roughly chopped
- Red Chilli - 2 dried red chillies
- Lemon - juice 1/2 lemon
- Sunflower Oil - 2 tbsp sunflower oil
- New Potato - 500g Charlotte or other new potato, unpeeled and halved
- Cumin Seed - 1 tsp cumin seeds
- Asafoetida - 1 pinch asafoetida (available from Bart or steenbergs.co.uk, see tip)
- Mustard Seed - 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- Coconut - 2 tbsp desiccated or shaved fresh coconut, toasted
- Green Chilli - 1 fresh red or green chilli, deseeded and thinly sliced
- Cabbage - 1 pointed (sweetheart) cabbage, finely shredded
- Cook potatoes in a pan of salted boiling water for 10 mins until tender. Drain well and return to pan. Lightly crush with the back of a fork, just to break, not to mash.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan and then add the asafoetida, spices and dried chillies. Cook for a few mins until the spices pop and the chillies darken.
- Add the fresh chilli, cabbage and some salt and stir-fry for 3-4 mins. Add the warm potatoes to the pan and cook for 2-3 mins more until the cabbage is tender, but still has some bite. Stir in the lemon juice, coconut and coriander, and serve.