- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 2 adults + 2 children
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 680
- Fat Content: 31g
- Saturated Fat Content: 19g
- Carbohydrate Content: 69g
- Sugar Content: 12g
- Fiber Content: 7g
- Protein Content: 29g
- Sodium Content: 1.25g
3-veg mac ‘n’ cheese
- butternut-squash - 150g butternut squash, cut into chunks
- penne - 300g penne (we used Napolina 50% white 50% wholemeal)
- butter - 40g butter
- leek - 1 small leek, finely sliced (about 50g)
- flour - 25g flour
- milk - 600ml milk
- peas - 100g frozen peas
- cheddar-cheese - 175g mature Cheddar cheese (we used a vegetarian version)
- bread - 1 slice day-old brown bread, blitzed into crumbs
- Heat oven to 200C/fan 180C/gas 6. Put the butternut squash in a steamer over boiling water. Steam for around 15-20 mins or until tender. Drain and then blitz in afood processoruntil smooth.
- Cook the pasta according to the pack instructions.
- Heat the butter in a mediumsaucepan, add the leek and cook for 2 mins. Stir in the flour and cook for 1-2 mins more. Take the pan off the heat and gradually whisk in the milk. Return to the heat and bring to the boil, stirring all the time. Simmer for 5 mins. Stir in the peas and bring back to a simmer. Take the pan off the heat and stir in the butternut squash, then 125g cheese.
- Stir the pasta into the sauce and transfer to an ovenproof dish. Sprinkle over the remaining cheese and the breadcrumbs. Bake for 20 mins or until golden and bubbling.
Family meal recipe for 2 adults + 2 children people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has butternut squash, penne, butter, leek, flour, milk, peas, cheddar cheese and bread.Add to Favourites