- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 806
- Fat Content: 31g
- Saturated Fat Content: 9g
- Carbohydrate Content: 125g
- Sugar Content: 87g
- Fiber Content: 3g
- Protein Content: 15g
- Sodium Content: 1.57g
Baby buttermilk pancakes with sticky bananas & Brazils
- plain-flour - 175g plain flour
- sea-salt - 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- bicarbonate-of-soda - 1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- caster-sugar - 1 tbsp caster sugar
- seed - seeds scraped from 1 vanilla pod
- egg - 2 eggs, separated
- butter - 25g butter, melted and cooled
- buttermilk - 200ml buttermilk
- milk - 100ml milk
- sunflower-oil - sunflower oil, for frying
- caster-sugar - 140g caster sugar
- brazil-nut - 100g Brazil nut, very roughly chopped
- banana - 2 ripe bananas, thickly sliced into chunks
- maple-syrup - 200ml maple syrup, plus extra on the side
- creme-fraiche - natural yogurt or creme fraiche (optional)
- Place the flour, salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and vanilla seeds in a food processor and pulse briefly to blend. Add the egg yolks, butter, buttermilk and milk, then whizz to a smooth batter, scraping down the sides of the bowl once or twice. Whisk the egg whites in another bowl to soft, floppy peaks, then fold into the batter.
- Heat a heavy-bottomed frying pan until you can feel a good heat rising, then lightly oil the pan. Using a small ladle, pour in the batter to make pancakes about 10cm in diameter. Cook for about 1 min until the tops are set and little holes appear in the surface. Flip the pancakes over, brown lightly on the other side, then transfer to a tea towel placed on a wire rack and keep warm in a low oven. Repeat with the remaining batter, stacking the pancakes as they are cooked.
- To serve, pour the sugar into a mixing bowl and toss the Brazil nuts and bananas through it. Tip into a pan, heat through to melt the sugar, then toss together as everything begins to caramelise. When the nuts and bananas are golden brown, remove from the heat and stir in the maple syrup. Arrange the pancakes on a serving dish and spoon over the nut and banana mix, then serve with extra syrup and a dollop of yogurt or creme fraiche.
Christmas brunch recipe for 4-6 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has plain flour, sea salt, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, caster sugar, seed, egg, butter, buttermilk, milk, sunflower oil, caster sugar, brazil nut, banana, maple syrup and crème fraîche.