- Prep Time: 35 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 574
- Fat Content: 34g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 50g
- Sugar Content: 10g
- Fiber Content: 8g
- Protein Content: 10g
- Sodium Content: 1.1g
Baja avocado tacos with chipotle crema & pickled slaw
- self-raising-flour - 125g self-raising flour
- garlic-clove - 1 garlic clove, grated
- lime - 1 lime, zested
- white-pepper - 1/2 tsp white pepper
- ground-cumin - 1 tsp ground cumin
- pale-ale - 200ml chilled pale ale or lager
- avocado - 2 ripe, firm avocados, peeled and quartered
- corn-tortilla - 4 corn tortilla
- coconut-oil - 4 tbsp coconut oil
- radish - 4 radishes, finely sliced
- cabbage - 1/2 white or hispi cabbage, sliced
- red-onion - 1/2 red onion, sliced
- coriander - handful coriander leaves, plus extra to serve
- cider-vinegar - 3 tbsp cider vinegar
- caster-sugar - 1 tsp caster sugar or honey
- chipotle-paste - 1/2 tsp chipotle paste
- garlic-clove - small garlic clove, sliced
- smoked-paprika - 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- lime - 1/2 lime, juiced
- soured-cream - 4 tbsp soured cream
- First, make the batter. Mix the flour, garlic, lime zest, white pepper, cumin and a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Whisk in the beer until you have a smooth batter, then set aside until needed.
- For the slaw, combine the radishes, cabbage, red onion and coriander in a bowl. Whisk the vinegar, sugar or honey and a pinch of salt in another bowl. Pour over the veg, toss thoroughly and set aside.
- To make the crema, put all the ingredients in a blender or mini chopper and blitz until smooth.
- Heat the coconut oil in a saucepan with high sides. Drop in some batter after a few mins - if it sizzles and turns golden brown quickly, the oil is ready. Dip the avocado slices in the batter, shake off the excess and fry, one or two at a time for 30 secs or until lightly golden and crispy. Remove from the oil, drain on kitchen paper and season with salt.
- Warm the tortillas on both sides for 1-2 mins in a griddle or non-stick frying pan, then divide the slaw between them. Top with the avocado, drizzle over the crema and garnish with coriander leaves.
Vegetarian Mexican recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has self-raising flour, garlic clove, lime, white pepper, ground cumin, pale ale, avocado, corn tortilla, coconut oil, radish, cabbage, red onion, coriander, cider vinegar, caster sugar, chipotle paste, garlic clove, smoked paprika, lime and soured cream.