- Prep Time: 45 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 365
- Fat Content: 12g
- Saturated Fat Content: 5g
- Carbohydrate Content: 48g
- Sugar Content: 4g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 14g
- Sodium Content: 1.7g
Beetroot, bacon & cheddar bread scrolls
- bread-flour - 325g strong white bread flour, plus extra for dusting
- flour - 175g rye flour
- fast-action-dried-yeast - 7g sachet or 1 1/2 tsp fast-action dried yeast
- rapeseed-oil - 1 tbsp rapeseed oil, plus a bit extra
- golden-caster-sugar - 2 tsp golden caster sugar
- rosemary - 4 rosemary sprigs, leaves picked and chopped
- rapeseed-oil - 1 tbsp rapeseed oil
- streaky-bacon - 6 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- mature-cheddar - 140g mature cheddar, grated
- beetroot - 250g pack cooked beetroot (not in vinegar), drained and grated- make sure you use gloves
- To make the dough, tip the flours, yeast, oil, sugar, rosemary, 1 1/2 tsp salt and 325ml warm water into a large mixing bowl. Mix with a wooden spoon, then use your hands to bring the mixture together, adding a little extra flour if it feels too sticky or a drizzle of extra water if too dry. Tip onto your work surface and knead the dough for 10 mins, or until it feels soft and springy.
- Put the dough in a clean, lightly oiled bowl and cover with oiled cling film. Leave somewhere warm to rise for 2 hrs, or until doubled in size. Meanwhile, prepare the filling. Heat the oil in a frying pan and add the bacon. Cook until crisp, then tip onto a plate lined with kitchen paper to drain and cool. Line 8 holes of a muffin tin with squares of baking parchment, or lightly grease with oil. Set aside.
- Tip the dough out of the bowl onto a lightly floured surface. Knead to knock out the air bubbles, then roll to a large rectangle, roughly 35 x 45cm. Sprinkle half the cheese over the surface and top with the bacon bits, beetroot, then the remaining cheese. Starting from one of the long edges, tightly roll the bread into a long cylinder, then cut into 8 pieces. Pop the bread scrolls, cut-side up, into the muffin tin holes. Cover the whole tin with oiled cling film and leave to rise for 30 mins or until doubled in size.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Uncover scrolls and brush with a little extra oil. Bake for 30 mins until golden brown. Leave to cool on a wire rack for at least 20 mins, then serve warm or eat within 1 day.
Christmas soup recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 35 mins; recipe has bread flour, flour, fast-action dried yeast, rapeseed oil, golden caster sugar, rosemary, rapeseed oil, streaky bacon, mature cheddar and beetroot.Add to Favourites