- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 6
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 401
- Fat Content: 37g
- Saturated Fat Content: 22g
- Carbohydrate Content: 1g
- Sugar Content: 1g
- Fiber Content: 0g
- Protein Content: 12g
- Sodium Content: 0.15g
Duck liver & gin parfait
- unsalted-butter - 50g unsalted butter
- shallot - 2 shallots, finely chopped
- chicken-liver - 400g pack duck or chicken liver, cleaned
- thyme-leaf - 1 heaped tsp thyme leaves
- gin - 2 tbsp gin
- double-cream - 170ml pot double cream
- unsalted-butter - 100g unsalted butter
- juniper-berry - 16 juniper berries, chopped
- thyme-leaf - 2 tsp thyme leaves
- brioche - thinly sliced seed bread or brioche, toasted
- gherkin - a few gherkins or cornichons
- Melt the butter for the pate in a pan and fry the shallots for 5 mins. Tip in the livers, thyme and plenty of black pepper and cook for about 5 mins until browned. Stir in the gin and cook for 1 min more.
- Tip the mixture into a food processor, scraping in all of the buttery juices. Blend with the cream and 1/2 tsp salt until smooth. Spoon into 6 ramekins and smooth the surface.
- For the topping, melt the butter with the juniper berries, thyme and a good grinding of black pepper, then spoon over the pate. Chill until the butter sets. If you want to freeze them, wrap in cling film, then foil. To defrost, thaw in the fridge for 24 hrs.
- To serve, place on a plate with toast and gherkins or cornichons.
Christmas pate and terrine recipe for 6 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has unsalted butter, shallot, chicken liver, thyme leaf, gin, double cream, unsalted butter, juniper berry, thyme leaf, brioche and gherkin.