- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Serving: 2
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 581
- Fat Content: 20g
- Saturated Fat Content: 3g
- Carbohydrate Content: 91g
- Sugar Content: 60g
- Fiber Content: 11g
- Protein Content: 13g
- Sodium Content: 0.32g
Fennel & chestnut loaf with cranberry relish
- chestnut - 125g pack cooked chestnuts
- juniper-berry - 6 juniper berries, squashed
- sunflower-oil - 1 tbsp sunflower oil, plus extra for greasing
- onion - 1 onion, chopped
- fennel - 140g fennel, chopped
- thyme - 2 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- orange-zest - 2 tsp orange zest
- orange-juice - 125ml orange juice
- breadcrumb - 50g wholemeal breadcrumb
- ground-almond - 25g ground almond
- white-wine - 50ml white wine
- egg - 1 egg, beaten
- cranberry - 140g fresh or frozen cranberry
- granulated-sugar - 65g granulated sugar
- orange - 1 orange, segmented
- Place the chestnuts and berries in a small pan, pour over enough water to just cover. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat, cover and leave to infuse until cool. Once cool, drain chestnuts and discard berries. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium-size pan and fry the onion until soft. Add the fennel and cook for 3-4 mins.
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Grease a 1lb loaf tin with oil. Transfer mixture to a mixing bowl and stir in the chestnuts and remaining ingredients with some seasoning. Put into the tin, smooth the top a bit, and cook for 35-40 mins until light golden. Leave to cool for a few mins in the tin before removing.
- While it's cooking make the cranberry relish. Place the cranberries in a small pan and pour over 150ml of water. Bring to the boil and cook until they're soft. Reduce the heat and add the sugar. Simmer until the mixture has thickened. Remove from the heat and allow to cool. Add the orange and serve with the loaf.
Festive main course recipe for 2 people, takes only 20 mins; recipe has chestnut, juniper berry, sunflower oil, onion, fennel, thyme, orange zest, orange juice, breadcrumb, ground almond, white wine, egg, cranberry, granulated sugar and orange.