- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 752
- Fat Content: 55g
- Saturated Fat Content: 26g
- Carbohydrate Content: 43g
- Sugar Content: 5g
- Fiber Content: 2g
- Protein Content: 25g
- Sodium Content: 2.78g
Ham, cheese & mushroom turnovers
- milk - 250ml milk
- butter - 1 tbsp each butter and flour, mixed to a paste, plus extra for dusting
- button-mushroom - 140g button mushroom, cut into quarters
- olive-oil - 1 tbsp olive oil
- ham - 140g ham, chopped into small pieces
- cheese - 85g leftover cheese (amount will vary according to type - go with your taste buds), cut into small pieces
- herb - 1 tbsp chopped herbs - tarragon, parsley and chives all work well
- puff-pastry - 500g block puff pastry
- egg - 1 egg, beaten
- The first thing to do is to make a thick white sauce that will be the base of the turnover filling. Bring the milk to a simmer, then add the butter and flour paste. Whisk the paste into the simmering milk and allow it to boil for 3-4 mins, whisking gently all the time to prevent it from catching. You should now have a very thick white sauce. Cool the sauce in a bowl. Fry the mushrooms in the oil for 3-5 mins until golden, then leave to cool.
- Place the ham, cheese and mushrooms into a bowl, then gradually add the white sauce until everything is well coated. Finally, add the herbs.
- Roll out the pastry on a floured surface to about the thickness of a PS1 coin and cut out 4 saucer-size rounds (about 18cm wide), re-rolling the trimmings if you need to. Brush the edges of each round with beaten egg. Spoon the mixture onto 1 side of each round, then fold over and seal the edges well. The turnovers can now be frozen for up to 1 month. Brush the turnover with the remaining egg, then chill for 30 mins.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. Place the turnovers on a baking sheet and bake for about 35 mins until puffed up and golden. Leave to cool slightly and enjoy warm.
Leftovers recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 50 mins; recipe has milk, butter, button mushroom, olive oil, ham, cheese, herb, puff pastry and egg.