- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Serving: 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 645
- Fat Content: 32g
- Saturated Fat Content: 17g
- Carbohydrate Content: 24g
- Sugar Content: 9g
- Fiber Content: 4g
- Protein Content: 49g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
Lamb & Dauphinoise hotpot
- carrot - 3 large carrots, cut into large chunks
- onion - 1 onion, roughly chopped
- garlic - 1 garlic bulb, split in 2
- rosemary - few sprigs rosemary
- thyme - few sprigs thyme
- bay-leaf - 2 bay leaves
- tomato-puree - 1 tbsp tomato puree
- shoulder-of-lamb - 1 shoulder of lamb on the bone, about 2 1/2 kg
- red-wine - 1 bottle red wine
- potato - 4-5 potatoes (the roundest you have)
- sweet-potato - 4 sweet potatoes (the roundest you have)
- double-cream - 150ml double cream
- butter - few knobs of butter
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. In a flameproof casserole dish that is large enough to fit the lamb, snugly scatter over all the vegetables and herbs, and roughly stir in the tomato puree. Sit the lamb on top, pour over the bottle of wine and season generously. Cover the dish and heat up on top of the stove, then put in the oven and leave undisturbed for 3 hrs. Remove from the oven, leave to cool, then chill overnight.
- The next day, remove all the hard fat from around the lamb and discard. Lift the lamb out of the dish, scraping away and keeping any of the jellified juices. Pull apart and shred the meat, discarding any large pieces of fat and the bones. Put the lamb back in the dish, then spoon over the jellied sauce and mix with the vegetables. Set aside.
- Heat oven to 200C/180C fan/gas 6. To make the topping, peel and neatly slice the potatoes by hand into rounds. Place in a pan of cold, salted water, bring to a hard boil and drain straight away. Tip back into the pan, pour over the cream and season. Now it's up to you how fancy you want to be - you can pile the potatoes over the lamb casually, or you can arrange the potato and sweet potato in interleaving circles. Drizzle over any remaining cream from the pan and dot with butter. Bake for 40 mins-1 hr until the top is golden and the sauce is just starting to bubble.
Comfort food recipe for 8 people, takes only 10 mins; recipe has carrot, onion, garlic, rosemary, thyme, bay leaf, tomato purée, shoulder of lamb, red wine, potato, sweet potato, double cream and butter.