- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 30 minutes
- Serving: 4 - 8
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 323
- Fat Content: 11g
- Saturated Fat Content: 7g
- Carbohydrate Content: 51g
- Sugar Content: 44g
- Fiber Content: 0.4g
- Protein Content: 3g
- Sodium Content: 0.4g
Strawberry daiquiri cocktail fancies
- butter - 250g butter, softened (plus extra for the tin)
- large-eggs - 4 large eggs
- golden-caster-sugar - 250g golden caster sugar
- self-raising-flour - 250g self-raising flour
- baking-powder - 1/2 tsp baking powder
- vanilla-extract - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- white-rum - 6 tbsp white rum
- butter - 100g butter, softened
- icing-sugar - 100g icing sugar
- milk - 1 tsp milk
- strawberry-jam - 6 tsp strawberry jam
- food-colouring - a few drops pink food colouring
- fondant-icing-sugar - 1kg pack fondant icing sugar
- white-icing - white icing
- freeze-dried-strawberries - freeze-dried strawberries or lime zest
- Heat oven to 180C/160C fan/gas 4. Butter a 30 x 20cm tin and line with baking parchment. Put the cake ingredients in a bowl except for the white rum. Whisk until smooth using an electric whisk, then transfer to the tin, smooth out and bake for 30-35mins until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Leave to cool completely.
- Meanwhile, for the filling, whisk the butter, icing sugar and milk together until smooth, then transfer to a piping bag.
- When the cake is cold, slice off the top so it's flat, turn over, trim and cut into neat, approx. 4cm squares (four squares across and seven down). You should have 28. Dip each one briefly in the rum and sit dipped-side up. Put a tiny dot of strawberry jam on top of each cake, then pipe a raspberry-sized ball of the buttercream filling on top of each one.
- For the icing, mix the fondant icing sugar, pink colouring and enough water to make it a condensed milk consistency. Put the cakes on wire racks set over trays to catch the drips, then coat each one in the icing. The best way to do this is to hold each one over the bowl of icing on a slotted spoon then generously drizzle over the icing with a tablespoon. Remove from the slotted spoon with a cutlery knife and sit on the rack to dry. Decorate with a sprinkling of freeze-dried strawberries and white icing. Serve in cake cases, if you like.Will keep for two days in an airtight container.
Vegetarian picnic recipe for 4 – 8 people, takes only 30 mins; recipe has butter, large eggs, golden caster sugar, self-raising flour, baking powder, vanilla extract, white rum, butter, icing sugar, milk, strawberry jam, food colouring, fondant icing sugar, white icing and freeze-dried strawberries.