- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Serving: 4
Nutrition facts (per portion)
- Calories: 608
- Fat Content: 24g
- Saturated Fat Content: 14g
- Carbohydrate Content: 90g
- Sugar Content: 55g
- Fiber Content: 5g
- Protein Content: 6g
- Sodium Content: 0.6g
The best apple crumble
- bramley-apple - 575g Bramley apple (3 medium apples), peeled, cored and sliced to 1 cm thick (see tip)
- golden-caster-sugar - 2 tbsp golden caster sugar
- plain-flour - 175g plain flour
- golden-caster-sugar - 110g golden caster sugar
- butter - 110g cold butter
- oats - 1 tbsp rolled oats
- demerara-sugar - 1 tbsp demerara sugar
- double-cream - double cream, clotted cream or custard, to serve
- Heat the oven to 190C/170 fan/gas 5.
- Toss 575g peeled, cored and sliced Bramley apples with 2 tbsp golden caster sugar and put in a 23cm round baking dish at least 5cm deep, or a 20cm square dish. Flatten down with your hand to prevent too much crumble falling through.
- Put 175g plain flour and 110g golden caster sugar in abowlwith a good pinch of salt.
- Slice in 110g cold butter and rub it in with your fingertips until the mixture looks like moist breadcrumbs. Shake the bowl and any big bits will come to the surface - rub them in. Alternatively, pulse in aprocessoruntil sandy (don't over-process).
- Pour the crumb mix over the apples to form a pile in the centre, then use a fork to even out.
- Gently press the surface with the back of the fork so the crumble holds together and goes crisp, then lightly drag the fork over the top for a decorative finish.
- Sprinkle 1 tbsp rolled oats and 1 tbsp demerara sugar over evenly, if you wish.
- Set on abaking trayand put in the preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until the top is golden and the apples feel very soft when you insert a small, sharp knife. Leave to cool for 10 minutes before serving.
Crumble recipe for 4 people, takes only 40 mins; recipe has bramley apple, golden caster sugar, plain flour, golden caster sugar, butter, oats, demerara sugar and double cream.Add to Favourites